Re: Free space

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2001 04:00:49 -0800

In article <3C0E9C80.5990597D_at_web.de>, Holger says...

>Hi,
>
>alter tablespace XXX coalesce;

that won't do this. that just takes adjancent free extents in a dictionary managed tablespace and makes them become one larger free extent.

>startet as sys should defrag the extents in a tablespace.
>Oracle 8i is said to do this automatically (, but I don't really trust :-).

all releases do if the pctincrease for the tablespace is >0, this just makes it happen right away.

>Sometimes it is possible to resize the datafiles after.

nope, if you couldn't before, you cannot after. It moves NO data.

the only way to do what they ask is to "reorg" the tablespace. If they are using LMT's (locally managed tablespaces) -- issueing "alter table T move tablespace <same tablespace>" will tend to move things to the "front", they would need to rebuild indexes as well after moving the object.