Re: Oracle vs. MS-SQL dialects

From: Jon Waterhouse <jonwaterhouse_at_mail.gov.nf.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:56:42 -0330

Thanks Jim,

Packages I will definitely check out. Basically what I am doing is taking a set of non-normalised flat files and trying to create a normalised database out of them. I therefore have several routines that deal with different parts of the "row" in the raw data that are all called by a main procedure that handles the translation of one imported file. There are a few similar main procedures that deal with slightly different source files.

Fortunately I have no triggers. I have a lot of temporary tables used to celan up the data before import. Looks like these are create global temporary table x instead of create table #x. I expect I can still do stuff the same way. It's possible that ref cursors might be more efficient in some cases than temporary tables, but this is a one time thing (plus small monthly additions), so unless I start running into weird problems I'll probably not worry about changing those.

Sequences I knew about but had temporarily forgotten.

I currently have things set up so that the simplest, nested procedures are first in the file (for obvious reasons), so I'll probably start there.

Thanks again,

Jon