Re: How to get rid of JVM in 8.1.x

From: Achille Carette <achyl_at_infonie.be>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:15:19 +0100

Hi Sybrand,

I've often read your answers on the Oracle newsgroups, and i can say you are a valuable source of information.

But i was quite surprised by your answer.

The JServer running in Oracle can be removed. It is also possible to create an instance without JServer.
The easiest is to use the scripts in the <Oracle home>\javavm\install directory ( oracle 9 ). To remove the JServer, use rmjvm.sql. And to reinstall it, use initjvm.sql.

Without java, memory requirements are smaller ( Java needs at least 50M of shared pool and 20M for JAVA_POOL_SIZE ). When working on a relatively "small" system (like having less than 500M RAM), this is not to be neglected.

Sincerely,

Achille Carette

Senior Software Engineer, Java-based Architectures Aprico Consultants, Brussels