Insert above HWM

From: news1.trim.net <chumly_at_jg2.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:02:17 -0500

I am consolidating a number of tables into a master table and I was planning to use
INSERT /*+ APPEND */ into a (select (columns) from b)

I was planning to create the new tablespace NOLOGGING and not create the index till all is complete. At which time I could alter tablespace logging. There are approx 3 million records involved.

I understand that the insert will direct oracle to insert rows above the high water mark rather that blocks that are on the freelist.

My question is do I need to export truncate and import this new table to set the HWM correctly? Or will that be done upon the first new regular insert into this table?

Thanks for your help
Barry Received on Sun Dec 02 2001 - 08:02:17 CST