Re: Personal Oracle 8.1.5 and Windows XP

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 21:39:47 +0100

"Bruce Messer" <bruce.messer_at_btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:9ub8g0$1ae$1_at_uranium.btinternet.com...
> Hi
>
> I am having great difficulty in getting Personal Oracle to work on XP. I
the
> services are run on the as 'Local System' the listener service seems to
> start but the database service refuses to open and times out. If I run
them
> under the Network Service account they open fine but I don't seem to have
> any visibility to them.
>
> Any Ideas would be most welcome...
>
> Bruce.

It must be by now widely known that anything Microsoft ships is not one hundred percent downwards compatible. This forces vendors to certify their software against new releases of Windoze. Oracle didn't do that for any version in the 8i productline as 9i was released just before XP was released.
Also 8.1.5 has been desupported quite a while ago, so it is not surprising it doesn't work.
What makes you think it should work?

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker