Safe to edit dmp file with SED?

From: Otto Norse <ottonorse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Nov 2001 10:30:51 -0800

I've deleted a very large percentage of the data from a database. I now want to create a new user that is sized on the current amount of data and not the existing sizing.

One idea was to exp the user, then alter the dmp file with SED to search and replace large initial / next extent statements. Looking at other posts at google, I see there is some discrepancy whether this is safe or not (as the dmp is a binary file).

I've also looked at doing an IMP SHOW=Y INDEXFILE=foo.sql, then editing foo.sql.

Any comments on either approach or even a different method of making a big, mostly empty database into a small one?

Thanks,
ON Received on Thu Nov 29 2001 - 12:30:51 CST