followup -- Help! Oracles has messed up my VB/Access database access!

From: <writer_at_writemaster.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2001 19:36:19 GMT

This is a followup to a message sent a few minutes ago (which is repeated below)...

The additional information is that when I try to access my databases directly through Microsoft Access, there is no problem. So, the weird dialog box I'm getting, asking for Password info and all that, has something to do with communications between VB and Access.

Hope this helps you to help me. Thanks again.

Steve O.

Okay, there is a good reason why I am cross-posting to Oracle and Access groups.

I have a Win 98 system. I have been taking a programming class in VB and Access, and running several home-made applications without problem. Then I obtain Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition for Win NT (they were *supposed* to send it for Win 98, but I installed it before I noticed that it was for Win NT.) In any event, I ran into a mess of problems with Oracle, and uninstalled it.

My punishement for messing around with Oracle when I have no idea what I am doing is this: Now, when I try to run my VB/Access applications, I get a dialog box that says "Please Enter MS Jet OLE DB Initialization Information." The dialog box already displays the source (the database I am accessing), the User Name (Admin), and the Open Mode. However, it wants a Password and Provider String.

This is obviously some kind of security feature that Oracle kicked into gear. I never had this before, and don't want it. Does anyone know how, on my Win 98 System, I "unkick" this feature, and tell the system to go back to the way it was before (that is, not seeking whatever kind of validation it is seeking)?

Steve O. Received on Wed Nov 28 2001 - 13:36:19 CST