Re: newbie again... Completely puzzled

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:25:05 +0100

<writer_at_writemaster.com> wrote in message news:3c047d99.12895314_at_news.writemaster.com...
> Okay, okay, I probably need to take a course or three on Oracle. Or
> even go to graduate school. On the other hand, I am a computer
> literate person, with some background in programming (C++, MFC, VB,
> Access), so you would think I could figure this out, but I am stumped.
> Maybe someone will be kind enough to answer a few basic questions, at
> least to get me oriented.
>
> I have a Win98 system, and I ordered the trial version of Oracle 8i
> Enterprise Edition, release 3 (8.1.7). I've installed it. I can't
> get anything to happen. Now what follows is admittedly long, but if
> you are bored at work and looking to amuse yourself by humoring an
> idiot, perhaps you can address my questions...

[rambling sniped]

You need Personal Oracle 8.1.7.
Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition is for NT/Win2000 only. Other than that Oracle (any edition) includes an Oracle Database Assistant, and an Oracle Net8 assistant, to do all the creation and configuration. However, I would consult someone to check your eyesight first, and you reading skills and willingness to do any reading at all.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA