Catch the very syntax error OUTSIDE SQL*Plus

From: Sri <monsri_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2001 05:11:48 -0800

Hi,
I'd like to know if there's a way of trapping the error you've made when you run a SQL statement, not only the SQL error number/text. You know SQL*Plus puts a mark (a '*') below the string that caused the error:
> select count(1) from iit.giv_comtr
> *
> ERROR at line 1 :
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

This is what I'd like to be able to catch and to deal with, cause I'm performing my connections from Java...

Is it specific to the SQL*Plus software, or is there a way of getting these very errors causes ?

Thanks for any idea/help.
Regs,
Sri Received on Wed Nov 28 2001 - 07:11:48 CST