Re: Oracle for BoneHeads

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:16:05 GMT

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:14:43 -0500, curmudgeon <completesweep_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>We have just received an Oracle DB, 8i, and I have now been given
>access to the DBA studio, SQL*Plus and the Enterprise Manager (but
>mgmt server not setup yet).
>I have plenty of DB experience...so... I start poking around.
>
>UNCLE...I cried after a few hours.
>
>where are the basics. I need to start building db's and tables, add
>in schema(?) and THEN I'll worry about the SQL. I can get the data
>out, I have tons of SQL stuff - it's getting the info set up that I
>can't seem to find.
>

>Any suggestions appreciated...
>
>TIA, Curmudgeon

The basics are in the docs. Oracle 8i concepts may be best to start with.
<URL:http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/toc.htm>.

To get a quick start, install the java tools locally (I forget what the pack is called). You can use Storage Manager and User Manager to set up a user/schema, and setup a tablespace for use.

Brian Received on Tue Nov 27 2001 - 15:16:05 CST