Re: [imp] getting error ORA-01461

From: François-Xavier de MONTGOLFIER <fdemontg_at_capgemini.fr>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:33:18 +0100

Unfortunately, I don't have the ORACLE 8 documentation with me right now, and don't have the time to go to http://docs.oracle.com to get the relevant info.

But, in the ORACLE 8 utilities documentation, you should look at the export/import part. In ORACLE 7, we see that

<quote>

Exporting LONGs
On import, LONGs require contiguous memory. Therefore, it is not always possible to export LONG columns from one operating system and import them on another system. Even on the same system, memory limitations may make it impossible to import very large LONG columns that were successfully exported on that system.
Warning: LONG columns can be up to 2 gigabytes in length. Because they can be exported in sections, Oracle LONGs are always exportable.

</quote>

and that

<quote>

Importing LONGs
Warning: LONG columns can be up to 2 gigabytes in length. Because they can be exported in sections, Oracle LONGs are always exportable. On import, however, LONGs require contiguous memory. Therefore, it is not always possible to export LONG columns from one operating system and import them on another system. Even on the same system, memory limitations may make it impossible to import very large LONG columns that were successfully exported on that system.

</quote>

Apparently, what happens to you is that the LONG you try inserting cannot be inserted in a single extent. You should try recreating the table with a greater initial extent, and see if it solves the problem. You may also have to look in the tuning section of the manuals, if the cause is not from extent size but from SGA size.

Hope this helps,

FiX