Re: Oracle vs. Access

From: Drazen Zoric <drazen.zoric_at_vip.hr>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:02:46 +0100

Access is low-end relationel database but Oracle is high-end (highest). Oracle is using client/server architecture, Access file sharing. In client/server arch database engine is located on server, but in Access every client has its own engine (DAO).
In Oracle communication between client/server is done using network protocol, Named Pipes (WinNT). Access is like opening single file simultanously
on more computers.
There are also a lot of features build into databases (SQL language, triggers, etc),
database size (Access 2000 is 2GB, Oracle 'unlimited'), speed (quality of SQL engine).

For simple database application Access could be better (and cheaper of course) but
when security, number of users, replication is in question than Oracle is better way.