"SET" operator in VIEW definition...

From: Jay Harding <jhardin_at_vestek.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2001 11:49:55 -0800

In the "Application Developer's Guide -- Fundamentals" (Oracle 8i) on page 2-19 it says something like:

>> 1. If a view is defined by a query that contains SET or
>> DISTINCT operators, a GROUP BY clause, or a group function,
>> then rows cannot be inserted into, updated in, or deleted
>> from the base tables using the view.

This makes sense to me, except for the part about the "SET" operator. Since a view is defined something like the following: CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW some_name
AS

   SUBSELECT
I'm wondering how the "SET" operator enters into this. The bit about trying to insert into a subselect with DISTINCT or GROUP BY couldn't possibly work. But "SET" operator -- I don't know what the documentation means here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any time spent reading/responding to this.... Received on Wed Nov 21 2001 - 13:49:55 CST