Re: Got those old Mutation Blues

From: Richard Shea <rshea_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2001 02:19:06 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<548hvtkn0t98ud5labi5q3de16tlronq13_at_4ax.com>...
> On 18 Nov 2001 17:03:45 -0800, rshea_at_my-deja.com (Richard Shea) wrote:

[Original question (written by me) snipped]

Hi Sybrand -

> You are selecting from the table you are mutating. What you are
> selecting doesn't matter at all, you are selecting. So you get the
> mutating table error.

OK - I thought the id != :new.id idea _might_ have worked, I live in hope ;-)

> From your problem description it looks like either your PK is
> incorrect, or you are trying to simulate the unique constraint.
> In that case you'd better impose one (on personid, startdatetime,
> enddatetime).

Yeah although of course to avoid overlaps the 'unique' is more like 'non-intersecting sets of minutes' which makes it a little more tricky than usual. Having read the thread through I think I'll attempt this with the 'after-statement trigger reading a table created in a before-insert-update trigger'.

thanks for your thoughts

richard shea.