Re: Puzzled: CURSOR in Package

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:24:11 +0100

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:06:41 GMT, "jane" <janeyiu_at_optonline.net> wrote:

>Thanks, but is this really a strong reason for declaring only cursor header
>in pkg spec ?
>I mean first wrapping in-house source is rather rare in the corporate world,
>is'nt it ?
>second, what's the justification for hiding the SQL from the developers ?
>That's not likely to make them more productive or accurate, is it?
>
>Jane
>

>> You may want it that way for security reasons - in a similar way to the
>> Oracle supplied packages - the spec is typically readable from
>> DBA_SOURCE but the body is wrapped. Thus, you could publicize the
>> existence of a cursor to be shared, but not reveal its definition.
>>
>> hth
>> connor

This concept is called information hiding. It means you can change the definition without having to chance the interface.
The advantages of this procedure are quite obvious to me.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Nov 19 2001 - 16:24:11 CST