Re: Need to pause for 15 min in procedure....

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:43:56 -0700

Mendoza Family wrote:

> I have an external process that loads data into Oracle. After every
> table it prompts for the password for the ODBC connection. I have a
> process that checks the record counts and pages out after the record
> count has stopped increasing. I would like to have it check every 15
> minutes instead of looping for 15 minutes and wasting resources. Is
> there any way to "pause" for x amount of minutes?
>
> Thanks for any help given,
> Moises

I assume this is on a Windows platform...if not, ignore what comes netx.

On Windows, there is a Perl module, Win32::AdvNotify that watches files for certain events (like time stamp changes, file size changes, etc.). While this module is waiting for an event like this to occur, there are virtually no resources used (i.e. the CPU does not get spun while waiting).

Maybe you could tailor this to your needs? If not, look at DBMS_LOCK for the sleep procedure.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA