Re: found an excellent delete statement

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:21:32 -0000

As Jonathan states there is a reason for code like this, not admittedly a very good one, so yes humans might well do this. In fact arguably a 4GL would be likely to actually utilize bind variables.

Also one can never assume rational behaviour by users.

In our organisation we provide professional services (auditing etc) on an annual basis to our clients. Each piece of work has a project code. This takes the form not of a sequence number (my preference) but a reference like LA00201, being work for the second of our clients whose name begins LA... for 2001.

one of our users found that getting management information on 2001 projects was somewhat slow.His query read select blah from <several tables> where project code like '_____01'; This took rather longer than select blah from <several tables> where year = 2001;

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA