Re: JDBC to Dates/Times in Oracle

From: Neil Campbell <campben8_at_cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:27:07 +0000

Brian Dick wrote:

> Dates and times are not "simple things". If you consider different
> calendars, timezones, regionalization, and user preferences, dates and times
> are quite complex. Also, datetime has an infinite domain in both duration
> and precision. That's always a tough problem for a finite computer to
> handle.

Yes, fair enough, they aren't entirely "simple" as such, that was a poor choice of words. However, in the context of an SQL standard that's been around for a number of years, is it too much to ask that major dbms vendors comply with it? Or have the date and time standards been changed in a later version of the standard? (I've only looked at SQL-92.)

--
Neil Campbell