Re: Impact of set unusable 8i

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:21:43 +1100

Not sure what preciely you mean. The 'set unused' option simply updates the data dictionary to make it seem as if the column(s) affected no longer exist. However, you are right that no change is actually made to the row itself. That should answer the rest of your questions: future updates to that row are unaffected (so long as you're not trying to update the columns set as unused, of course), and behave as they have always done. Batch updates are therefore treated exactly the same as they always have been.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com

"IAmTheRepoMan" <IAmTheRepoMan_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have some very large tables in which I'd like to drop some columns.
Based