Oracle Connection and DSL

From: Rob Lusardi <rlusardi_at_technowing.com>
Date: 14 Nov 2001 13:04:13 -0800

I have a client (win 2k) connection to an Oracle server (Oracle 8.1.7.0 running on a Sun box) via a Verizon DSL connection. I can connect to the database just fine, and can run many small DML or DDL commands with no problem. I _do_ have a problem though when I'm trying to run a SQL block from my client machine that's greater than 1413 bytes (that's the file size according to Windows - I'm guessing that sqlnet tacks on some of it's own stuff). Anything greater than that and the client hangs for about 1 minute, and then returns with an error. Typically the error is, 'ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel', followed by 'ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE', although one tool showed a different error.

Since I got different errors, I ran a trace on the client which always displayed one error: 'ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error'. (I have yet to run a trace on the server; I'll follow-up with that info once done.)

Receiving data or viewing procedure code from the server to the client doesn't cause any problems. The three client-side tools that I'm using are: sqlplus, PL/SQL Developer, and TOra.

I thought this was an Oracle/sqlnet specific error except for two things:
1. We're having similar problems when performing web posting or redirects to/from our Apache server (not my area of expertise; please don't flame if I got the terms wrong :-) 2. All this stuff (including <1> above) works fine when I use my Verizon dial-up account instead of DSL.

Has anybody seen anything similar to this? Am I hitting some sort of packet size limitation (again, this is not my area ...)?
Are there any Oracle settings that can be tweaked to avoid this? If it is a dsl-specific problem, how could I present it to Verizon (they deny any limitations to the system)? Received on Wed Nov 14 2001 - 15:04:13 CST