Re: patches, upgrades

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:29:20 +0100

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:28:58 GMT, anlommel_at_gmx.de (Andreas Lommel) wrote:

>>You need to upgrade to 8.1.7
>
>Which are the disadvanatges when I stay on 8.0.5 ?

1 Old technology. Major advancements have been made. Even if you don't want to use Java, you do want to use locally managed tablespaces and the many advancements in pl/sql in 8i 2 May not necessarily work with newer releases of vendor operating systems and/or hardware. Has never been certified by Oracle against win2k and win xp
3 In those cases, when something happens Oracle definitely won't help you out whether you have a support contract or not 4 Formally they are obliged only to send you patches for already known bugs. They won't address any new patches, nor would they backport issues resolved in later issues, also applying to your issue. 5 My experience is in many cases OTS doesn't even answer the phone, when they hear you are running an desupported release. 6 In short, with the rapid changes in technology, it will soon look like you run a museum in the stone age. You might loose the fight with your competitors who did upgrade

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Nov 13 2001 - 07:29:20 CST