Re: Setup archived log unsuccessful.

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:19:49 GMT

In article <9sk7gg01q20_at_drn.newsguy.com>, "Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:

> neither is this ;)
>

>> The LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST parameter has
>>never supported "location=" syntax, it is reserved for log_archive_dest_1
>>to log_archive_dest_5 parameters, together with the state parameter
>>(log_archive_dest_state_x, x in {1,2,3,4,5}). The log_archive_dest
>>parameter itself is a legacy parameter inherited from v6 and v7 and  it
>>should be replaced by the new parameters which allow for the log
>>multiplexing.

> log_archive_dest is the only one you can use in STANDARD edition as it
> does not support archive log multi-plexing and does not support the
> log_archive_dest_n init.ora parameters.
>
> This parameter is depreciated in Enterprise Edition in favor of the
> setting that allows for >1 copy of the archive to be made. In Standard
> -- it is alive and kicking.
>
> So, whilst true that log_archive_dest doesn't support location= (but
> log_archive_dest_n does) - it is not true that log_archive_dest is a
> legacy parameter and should be replaced.

I wouldn't know. I work for an HMO in CT which has a 4-way OPS system based on HP N-class nodes and EMC disk array. We have recently (Labor Day) completed migration from Oracle7 on Siemens (OPS as well) to 8.1.7 on HP and it has always been an enterprise edition system. On my home machine I am running the following SW:

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production
CORE 8.1.7.0.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 8.1.7.2.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production

As you can see, I have no experience whatsoever with the standard edition. These are the voyages of the RDBMS enterprise edition. It's continuing mission is to boldly go where no database has gone before. BTW, I love your book!
Now back to the business: if the guy who asked the question leaves the parameter unset and just turns on the archiving (hopefully, the database itself is in the archivelog mode), the archives will go to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs where Legato or something else can pick them up and backup.

--
Mladen Gogala
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory.