Re: Setup archived log unsuccessful.

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:12:43 GMT

In article <tuq8v79d62b4f_at_corp.supernews.com>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

> "hkchan" <hkchan_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in message

>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am running Oracle 8i 8.1.6 Standard Edition on Solaris 8 with raid-1
>> configured system.
>>
>> I tried to configure the server to archived log enabled, so in
>> initlivedb.ora
>> log_archive_start = true
>> log_archive_dest = "location=/ora8/m01/app/oracle/admin/livedb/arch"
>> log_archive_format = arch_%t_%s.arc
>>
>> But, I just could not start the service,
>>
>> SVRMGR> connect internal
>> Connected
>> SVRMGR> startup mount
>> ORA-16032: parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST destination string cannot be
>> translated
>> ORA-07286: sksagdi: cannot obtain device information. SVR4 Error: 2: No
>> such file or directory
>>
>> Please help and advice
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Gerald
>>

> You are running standard edition. This doesn't support the location=
> syntax, and multiple archive destinations.
> You need to remove location=
>
> Hth
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

This is not entirely correct answer. The LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST parameter has never supported "location=" syntax, it is reserved for log_archive_dest_1 to log_archive_dest_5 parameters, together with the state parameter (log_archive_dest_state_x, x in {1,2,3,4,5}). The log_archive_dest parameter itself is a legacy parameter inherited from v6 and v7 and it should be replaced by the new parameters which allow for the log multiplexing.

--
Mladen Gogala
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory.