Re: Chance to obtain Entry Level Oracle DBA with OCP

From: <dominica_at_secondhat.secondhat.com>
Date: 08 Nov 2001 22:27:10 GMT

Hi Mike,
Actually today, another person email me directly for this question.

First the job market is terrible, a lot of very senior and very good oracle dba is out of job in California side.

The problem is for a big/huge company with a big/critical database, no management will willing to let an entry level person to admin the database. Basically , they are afraid ..

Passing OCP is good, but I know several people that have the OCP , and in real life ,they don't know what to do in a lot of the cases.

Best thing to do is to work in a small company with small db and then sometimes, you might have to do some oracle developer job, and gain some experience on a smaller oracle db first , and then jump another job to a medium size company with medium db, and learn that and then go to work for a company has a large db.

Since pretty large db is not easy to deal with. Especially in the recovery and backup thing, if the db is 1 terabyte.. it is another new story. GOod luck.

Dominica