Re: Username and Password - Newbie

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:17:02 +0100

You will get 3121 when you are running on a system without a database, usually a client.
In that case you will need to use the syntax username/password_at_service where <service> has been defined in tnsnames.ora. Right now, it looks like you just started 'somewhere' and there's little clue in your post what is going on at your side. Can you confirm you have a database running at all?

You need to have a database on (preferably) a server different from the system designer/2000 is installed on, whether that different server is NT or any Unix port is irrelevant.

Can you verify one way or another you have installed the Oracle Server software or Personal Oracle on any of the systems available to you?

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA