SGA and DB sizing for low load dev box

From: harry <harry.parkinson_at__NOSPAM_informed-direct.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:32:44 -0000

I am running a small dev server (Windows 2K) with Oracle 8.1.7, I would like to run two instances; one for the RMAN and OEM repository and the other for developing. I have experimented by creating two instances using the DBCA and left the defaults. I have run both of these with the Management server and the machine just crawled (it only has 256 MB ram - hopefully to be doubled soon).

I want to make the OEM / RMAN instance use as little resources as possible so I have experimented with the SGA. I have changed the parameter file by uncommenting the small DB settings aginst the following SHARED_POOL_SIZE
DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS
LOG_BUFFER
and reduced the JAVA_POOL_SIZE to 32k as I don't use java. This has reduced the instance from 100MB to 30MB roughly.

Does anybody have any guidelines for parameter and DB settings to produce a small instance suitable for the OEM/RMAN and one for developing with on a non production box. At the moment I am selecting all the options in the DBCA:
TimeSeries
Spatial
Jserver
Intermedia
Visual Information Retreival
Advanced Replication
sql plus help

I don't think I need any of these for the OEM/RMAN instance? The data file size is 260MB what can this be reduced to along with the following tablespaces; rollback, user, temporary, tools, index user.

Any help would be gladly appreciated as I am struggling to find any resources on this.

Regards,
Harry Received on Thu Nov 08 2001 - 08:32:44 CST