Re: Help me understand

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2001 09:36:45 -0800

"Networkguy" <news_at_network##NOSPAM##guy.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1005122012.41959.1_at_hebe.uk.clara.net>...
> Hi Guys and Girls:
>
> In my current roll, I have to design networks (LAN & WAN) the hosted
> platform (Compaq & SUN) and the OS (Windows & Solaris).
>
> I don't have a problem with this and have been doing it for years but in the
> past, when it has come to the DB, I have left that to the DBA team to sort
> out.
>
> I am not wishing to become a DBA but would like to gain an understanding of
> Oracle. How it functions and even perhaps the basic functions of how is is
> installed and run.
>
> This way, when sat in the room with the DBAs, I can do more than just look
> pretty.
>
> Can anybody recommend some good reading on this topic?
>
> PS
>
> I am not looking for certification at this moment.

You might consider going to technet (signing up is free) and downloading the personal edition of Oracle and going through an install with it. The gui install tool will pretty much take care of the install and building a db. The documentation can also be found on technet. The Concepts manual covers all the basic ideas including having a chaper on the physical layout of the db and about the background processes. The Network Administration guide would probably have a chapter or two of interest to someone performing your job.

Obviously I am not suggesting you read all of any of the manuals at this point only that certain chapters of Concepts, DBA Administration, Network Admin, and maybe some others may be of interest.