Import Problems!

From: Kevin S. Smith <ksmith_at_erieplating.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:42:13 -0500

I am trying to create a test Db on a separate machine. I exported a full versioin of my database (oracle 8i on RH6.2) and copied the export file over to our test machine. I copied the init.ora file from the good server to the test one, and created a bare database. Of course I can't startup the test db because I have not yet imported the controlfiles and such from the good db. Being new, I have the following questions: (and I have looked in K. Loney's handbook):

Do I have to copy over the control files from the good database before I imp? I was under the 'ass'umption that they would be copied over with the imp.

What state should the test db be in while I am attempting this import? If I start nomount the test db, when I go to imp, it says that the database is still initializing(which is because there are no conrol files). If I don't start the test db, when I go to imp, it says 'Oracle not available'.

Can somebody please tell me how to import a full export.dmp into a totally empty database?

I would really appreciate any help Received on Wed Nov 07 2001 - 09:42:13 CST