Re: oracle and windowsXP

From: leslie joyce <blumagic_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:35:27 GMT

Schermrooster wrote:

 Leslie,

 If you don't have to be concerned about your data, just reinstall the ENTIRE
 machine. Don't try the upgrade!!!!!

 Just a fresh OS and a fresh ORACLE. If you run into problems with ORACLE
 when upgrading your OS, you never can tell if you do something wrong with
 ORACLE or just because your OS is f^&ked up.

 Especially for training purposes upgrading isn't a good idea. (Defenitely
 not with M$ Products.)

 Regards,

 Peter
 "Dino Hsu" <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message  news:ll3cutk3vrr8et898fo3if0r9id3454a3j_at_4ax.com...

 I have upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP, and I installed Oracle  8.1.7 EE on it, it works fine so far, I can test Oracle while  listening to cyber-radio or watching video. I don't have experience  with personal Oracle, I remember it is only meant for one person use.

 On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 21:02:13 -0500, leslie joyce  <blumagic_at_bellatlantic.net> wrote:

Hi All,

I have a dual boot laptop,windows98 and linux. I have installed personal oracle on my win98 partition. I am thinking about upgrading to XP home edition. Has anyone had experience doing this upgrade? Even if you have upgraded from win98 to w2k, I would be interested in your experience in terms of did you have to reinstall oracle. I am just teaching myself oracle, so I dont have any critical data to be concerned about.

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I will probably do the clean install. It seems that would be the best way to go. Now I am wondering if I should install 8.1.7? Any thoughts either way between oracle personal edition or 8.1.7?

Thanks in Advance,

--
Thanks,