Re: Writing to a file on the client

From: Brian Potter <potterrb_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:09:34 GMT

This looks like it should work, but when I try to use TEXT_IO I get an error message. Specifically, the declaration

my_file TEXT_IO.FILE_TYPE;

produces the error "PLS-00201: identifier 'TEXT_IO.FILE_TYPE' must be declared", both in SQL*Plus and Oracle Procedure Builder. In Procedure Builder, I can see the built-in package TEXT_IO.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

"Paul Quenneville" <paulq_at_home.com> wrote in message news:8T2G7.138558$5h5.57182060_at_news3.rdc2.on.home.com...
> The PL/SQL file I/O feature is available for both client side and server
> side PL/SQL. The client implementation (text I/O) is subject to normal
> operating system file permission checking, and it does not need any
> additional security constraints. However, the server implementation might
be
> running in a privileged mode, and will need additional security
restrictions
> that limit the power of this feature.

> Note:
> The UTL_FILE package is similar to the client-side TEXT_IO package
> currently provided by Oracle Procedure Builder. Restrictions for a server
> implementation require some API differences between UTL_FILE and TEXT_IO.
In
> PL/SQL file I/O, errors are returned to you using PL/SQL exceptions.
>

> "Brian Potter" <potterrb_at_mediaone.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to use DBMS_OUTPUT or UTL_FILE or some other package to
write
> > to a file on an Oracle client machine. I have a procedure right now in
> the
> > database (on a Sun server) that writes to a file in a directory on the
Sun
> > server. I would like to be able to write to a file on a Windows client
> > machine when the procedure is invoked from a client app written in
Oracle