Number of tables/views and security

From: Hans Börjesson <hansb_at_SPAMvendimo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:25:41 +0100

Hi!

I wonder if there is any problems (limitations, performance issues etc) to have a database with say 25000 views? The database will originally only contain like 50 tables but the application running against the database may specify restrictions on users (some fields are hidden/readonly for a user with a specified role). For every role I was planning to create views (which in turn is pointing to the "real" 50 tables) which includes only the fields that the role is permitted to see. My hope is that this will simplfy the handling of field/table security (now this is done by code in the client).

We will be using Oracle 8i (8.1.6) or higher.

Does this make sence or do you see any big drawbacks with this approach?

--
Med vänlig hälsning/Regards
Hans Börjesson