Re: Oracle and Microsoft XP

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:41:55 +0100

"Nicolas Bronke" <nb_at_trinity.de> wrote in message news:9s6urc$bjd$07$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> I found only following about Oracle and Office XP:
>
> Q: Which versions of the Oracle database are supported on which versions
of
> Windows?
>
> A: Windows 2000 support indicates support for the main editions
> (Professional, Server, Advanced Server, Datacenter Server, Terminal
> Services, Multi-Language Edition). Windows XP support indicates support
for
> the Professional Edition. XP support will be available soon after the
> operating system's release.
>
> Oracle9i Release 1 (9.0.1) Supported Windows Operating Systems
> Enterprise Edition (Server) Windows NT/2000
> Standard Edition (Server) Windows NT/2000
> Personal Edition Windows NT/2000/98/XP
> Client Windows NT/2000/98/XP
>

> Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) Supported Windows Operating Systems
> Enterprise Edition (Server) Windows NT/2000
> Standard Edition (Server) Windows NT/2000
> Personal Edition Windows NT/2000/98
> Client Windows NT/2000/95/98
>

> Oracle8i Release 2 (8.1.6) Supported Windows Operating Systems
> Enterprise Edition (Server) Windows NT/2000
> Standard Edition (Server) Windows NT/2000
> Personal Edition Windows NT/2000/98
> Client Windows NT/2000/95/98
>

> Oracle8 (8.0.6) Supported Windows Operating Systems
> Enterprise Edition (Server) Windows NT
> Standard Edition (Server) Windows NT
> Personal Edition Windows NT/95/98
> Client Windows NT/95/98
>

> That would mean until now, Oracle Server is running "only" on MS Win2K and
> not on XP? And only the oracle client 9.x is certified for XP? Does anyone
> has further information or links?
>
> Regards
>
> Nicolas

If you got this information from Metalink, I don't think you will find any other statement from Oracle saying XP is certified. XP has been released 2 weeks ago, and Microsoft is usually not very willing to publish any detail before it goes live. Remember also Win2k is a very new O/S and I think the majority of the installed base is still running NT 4.
Then also, I don't know of any Microsoft O/S release which has been _fully_ 100 percent downwards compatible.
So there is a reason for third parties to certify their products. At this point I think it is not reasonable to expect Oracle would have certified their products against XP
That all said, in production situations I definitely wouldn't jump to the latest release of Oracle on the latest release of Windoze. This is just asking for trouble.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA