Re: Size of extents?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 14:16:01 +0000

jarom wrote:

> In Oracle documentation, I never found any practical hints on what criteria
> should be used to determine ideal extent sizes for tables and indexes and
> how they impact database performance.
>
> Can anyone help me with this issue or have a clue where good relevant
> documentation can be found?
>
> Thanks for any inputs in advance!
>
> Jann

Simple guidelines:

  1. in each tablespace every extent should be the same size (typically via locally managed tablespaces)
  2. have multiple tablespaces so that you can use a different set of extent sizes in use, such that each object in your application has a manageable number of extents (say less than roughly 100 or so)

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald