Re: Such a thing as auto increment in oracle?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 12:13:54 +0100

On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:48:18 +1100, Chris Newman <chris_newman_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

>I am using Oracle version 7 for Windows 95 and want to increment values in a
>column one at a time starting with 1, 2, 3 etc to serve as a primary key.
>MySQL calls this feature auto-increment. How do I do this please

In Oracle you can create auto increment number as an object called 'sequence'.

First create a sequence,

SQL> create sequence my_seq;

this will create a sequence number start with 1 and autoincrement by 1. This is the default, can be changed by specifying.

then while inserting into table...
SQL> insert into t(my_seq.nextval, col2, col3);

you will select the nextval method from the sequence object you have created.
Every time you select the nextval, the sequence will automatically increment by 1.

Obviously this is a FAQ. The answer above I copied from www.orafaq.com, but the archives of this group at http://groups.google.com will also show many answers. Please try to search these resources before you start posting a question, which you can assume, has already been answered many times.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Nov 05 2001 - 05:13:54 CST