Re: FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:55:44 -0000

Jonathan listed a variety of resources and made some common sense suggestions as to how to get an answer to question you might have about Oracle. I'd like to jump in with suggestions about how to give answers.

  1. Don't post answers when tired and ratty. You are likely to annoy the original poster, but also in my experience give a wrong or incomplete answer.
  2. Don't slag off alternative RDBMS systems or OS's. It doesn't add anything but attitude.
  3. DO point out where the posters experience may be leading to incorrect expectations of Oracle.
  4. RTFM is OK as an answer, but is best accompanied by an actual solution, before gently pointing out where the solution could have been found.
  5. Feel free to give the URL of the FAQ or the documentation repeatedly.
  6. Emphasize that solutions to Oracle problems are version specific and often go out of date faster than the latest boy-band.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA