Re: Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: Alan <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:16:25 -0500

I agree with everything you wrote. Yes, if I did not have the luxury of creating my serach tables each night, I would be using views. I more-or-less suggested this in my original message, where I wrote, "Of course, it really depends on the situation. We are not 7 x 24,  so I have the luxury of running the search table updates  overnight, the ad hoc queries are fairly predictable, and our  security needs are pretty static."

 In my particular case, views are not necessary. I never said that views are never good. What I create are tables that would otherwise be instantiated as views. I still submit that this method provides for faster querying than using actual views. It's just that not everyone has the luxury to be able to do things this way. I don't buy others' argument that if it's faster for the developer, it's better for the end-user. Sometimes that is true (faster turn-around of user requests for changes), and other times it isn't (faster querying on denormalized, indexed tables instead of views.) "It depends" on each situation, which is the only correct answer to any IS/IT question. Now here come the developers...