Re: Huge problem with COM+ performace? PART TWO

From: Klaus H. Probst <kprobst_at_v>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:02:31 -0700

Adam,

I don't know if someone has brought this up before but are you setting the DLL(s) Unattended Execution and Retained In Memory properties? There's a problem with the VB runtime and COM+ that is solved this way. By the looks of your description maybe that could be the problem...

--
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Klaus H. Probst, MVP

Please post/reply to the newsgroup(s)

"Adam Boczek" <adam.boczek_at_NO_SPAM_gft-solutions.de> wrote in message

> First of all I'd like to thanx all of you for answers!
>
> I've done some tests today and I'd like to show you results and problems.
>
> All my VB components are correct configured properly (threadings models,
> type of execution etc.). I have one class thas is responsible for all
> connection to the database. It also independet dll.
>
> All my clients write now messages into event log.
>
> Problem:
> When I start one client and than start long-lasting operation I can start
> second client, but it waits until the first client ends its process. Looks
> like database locks but it is not.
>
> Suddenly I've found in log event, that my second client can't initialize
> com+ object (stops when I call "set a = new MyDll.Function"). When the
first
> client realises or creates new object than some resouces are free and
second
> client goes on, but stops when it once again needs new object. So it looks
> like problems by resource pooling in com+.
>
> And now the hammer! All runs without problems when... I split my com+
> aplication into two aplications! One has only my "db" classes, second the
> rest of dlls. But where is the explanation? Two dllhost.exe mean tousand
of
> out-process calls (almost all my dll uses "basis-dll") and that degrees
> preformance. And this configuration causes also problems with transaction
in
> stored precedures of Oracle8i.
>
> Thanx for any help. I have 5 days to lose the problem...
>
> Greets,
> Adam

> Adam Boczek
> IT Consultant
> GFT Solutions GmbH
> adam.boczek_at_gft-solutions.de
>
> "Adam Boczek" <adam.boczek_at_NO_SPAM_gft-solutions.de> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
> > I have huge problem :-|. I've written software which uses COM+ as
> midletier
> > and Oracle8i as datatier. All business components are VB dlls. All
clients
> > are VB exes. Everything seems to be ok (transactions etc.). But when I
> start
> > long-lastig process (for example accounting for 300.000 clients) all
other
> > processes are locked (or very, very slow). I can NOT connect from client
> > my business components in COM+ (I receive no errors, only information
that
> > process is pending) . Hardware is ok (2-Procesor server Compaq with 1,2
GB
> > RAM etc.), database parameters also (I can connect to database without
> COM+
> > and run without problems any query), network 100MB/s and hi-end
switches.
> > I've tried different component configurations (all dll in one package or
> in
> > groups) but without success.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Win2k Srv SP2, Oracle8i (8.1.7.2), VB6 SP5, ADO 2.6 SP1, all clients
Win2k