Re: ORACLE is a piece of crap

From: Stuart <Stuart_at_sjcpc.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:26:02 GMT

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:18:17 GMT, In Memory of tecNovia <pw_at_ww.com> wrote:

>Hey Oracle freaks
>
>I have been trying to repackage an 8.1.6
>client using Wise installmaster for
>a silent deployment to 3000 NT clients on my LAN.
>
>I can't do it, Wise is not able to capture the install. the ORACLE
>ODBC driver does not install properly. I tried to capture just the
>ODBC driver install, same problem, Comes up as NOT MARKED under
>ODBC manager.
>
>I don't want to use your crap Java installer
>because it does not work.
>
>Anybody can tell me why it is so hard to get
>anything with Oracle on it to work properly?
>
>Any advice? Please tell me you need to know more
>than how to type SELECT * from db_users to put that
>Oracle DBA in your sig. What a fucking buch of morons,
>learn some real technology.

In a previous lifetime, I remember having a similar problem with Wise InstallBuilder creating an Oracle ODBC entry for the relevant remote database. I discovered the problem was that not all the ODBC configuration key/value pairs were created even though they formed part of the Wise Create ODBC instruction details.

The problem was ultimately solved by doing a registry add of the missing key/value pairs that the Create ODBC could not do.

I suggest you inspect a working ODBC entry in the registry, create a one-line Wise install that creates a corresponding ODBC test entry and compare registry settings. Identify any omissions and use the Registry manipulation facilities to add back appropriate items.

I hope that helps.

Stuart Clifton Received on Wed Oct 31 2001 - 12:26:02 CST