Re: Optimising an Oracle application for bandwidth

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:52:34 GMT

I think that you need to trace the entire "conversation" between Oracle and the VB application. It may be that the MS OLEDB driver is doing a lot of "talking" in addition to actually retrieving the data. One quick and dirty way to measure if this might be the case would be to run sqlplus on the client. spool the output to a file and not view it on the screen. Compare this time to execute with the same queries in a specific area of the VB application. (If possible I would do this on the end of the modem connection to exacerbate the performance issue.) Also I have seen a tendency for people to connect and disconnect in VB and that could lead to a large time sink.
Just a couple of ideas.
Jim

"Mike Brodbelt" <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:9yHD7.87595$uM2.10613013_at_monolith.news.easynet.net...
> Hi,
>
> I have an application, written in VB, that uses the Microsoft OLEDB for
Oracle
> drivers (and by extension, the Oracle supplied Net8 client) to communicate
with
> an Oracle database. The application is used by 10-15 users who use it as
their
> only interface to update the information held in the Oracle database.
>
> Most users are on the same LAN as the database server, but I have one
(soon to
> be two) remote users. These users dial up a local ISP access point, and
connect
> into my network via PPTP, and from there, they run the VB which talks to
the
> database. For this user, connected at 30,600bps, application response
speed is a
> real problem.
>
> Investigating this has shown that the main problem seems to be bandwidth,
rather
> than latency - as some screens in the app refresh, a lot of SQL is
generated,
> and the link is getting saturated for up to 10 secs or so, leading to
pretty
> dismal performance. Now, some time ago this database used to live on MS
SQL