Re: Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: MarkyG <markg_at_mymail.tm>
Date: 30 Oct 2001 02:54:36 -0800

> "You should be able to get all the data you need with straight SQL...even if
> it have to go for pages !"

There is nothing wrong with a view. I had a view which represented raw data in a cross tab format which the users liked. I either had 2 options, create one view which put the data how I wanted or replicate that code 50 times for 50 reports! By using the view, if the query had to change slightly, it got 'automatically' changed in the reports.  Otherwise, i'll have to edit 50 reports.

> "...you are creating yet another dependency...it's another object that has
> to be maintained !......"

Views are not difficult to maintain, especially if you save them in a script and use a GUI to make changes

What you may need to watch out for is writing queries in which you join a view to a view, it may not be the most efficient. Run explain plans on the query to verify.

IMO, your developer is.....60% full of BS ;-)

HTH, M