Re: inserts during table move

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:20:59 +1100

But they do!

9i allows on-line table redefinitions. The process isn't pretty, and involves elaborate calls to the dbms_redefinition package that tax my syntactical skills to the limit, but it works.

How do they pull it off? A journalling table (a materialized view log) stores the DML, and once the redfinition is finished, the journal is applied to the finished product. All spiffingly clever.

Why do it? Because in an OLTP system, having a crucial table locked out for 5, 10 or more minutes whilst an alteration takes place is a big no-no.

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000