Re: Is OLAP essentially for Large Enterprises

From: Simon Fletcher <Simon.D.Fletcher_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:02:40 -0000

OLAP can be used successfully by any size organisation. I have implemented it for organisations ranging from tens of people to thousands and, if users have the right analytical skills, it can deliver great benefits.

If you are using SQL Server 7 or 2000 you should seriously look at the Analysis Services components. These do exactly waht you are looking for, calculating summaries for all combinations of data. You really need to have designed a suitable schema to get the most out of this though. From what you describe though it sounds like creating summary tables would give you the effect you need, you would then simply need to ensure that queries used the summary tables when appropriate. A good reporting tool, such as Business Objects, would take care of this for you.

Regards,

Simon

"Puneet Agarwal" <NOSPAM__puneetagarwal_at_india.com> wrote in message news:9rgmgq$tne7f$1_at_ID-99266.news.dfncis.de...
> I have been exploring OLAP for a few days and I see that it is a great
> technology targeted at large enterprises for analysis of the information.
 It