Re: Is OLAP essentially for Large Enterprises

From: Puneet Agarwal <NOSPAM__puneetagarwal_at_india.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:34:45 +0530

Thanks for the reply.

However, The problem I am facing is slightly different than the example you have given.

I have following tables

Account

    Long AccountId (PK)

    String AccountName

Voucher

    Long VoucherId (PK)

    Long VoucherDate(PK)

VoucherDetails

    Long VoucherDetailsId (PK)

    Long VoucherId (FK for Voucher)

    Long AccountId (FK for Account)

    Int Amount

This is a simple scenario for maintaining accounts tables. In such a sitation, it is very frequently required to know the balance of any account i.e. sum of all the amounts in VoucherDetails corresponding to that account occurred before that date. In such a situation, it might be feasible for me to maintain cubes for that on AccountId, VoucherId.VoucherDate. If I maintain that, will my regular SQL query like 'select sum(Amount) from voucherDetails,voucher where voucherDetails.voucherId=Voucher.VoucherId and voucher.VoucherDate<(some date)' be optimized because of the maintained summary tables/cubes.

Thanks