Re: Create a snapshot in Oracle 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:55:54 +0100

"Marco Curradi" <curradi_marco_at_lilly.com> wrote in message news:b6b6b3d6e22563af57c79bb1eaa846f8.37666_at_mygate.mailgate.org...
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to create a snapshot from a db link (remote link in Germany) to
my
> db in local (Italy).
> The refresh is very slow but I think that in oracle 8.1.7 is possible
create a
> snapshot without redo log.
> How is it possible ?
> Which is the command ?
> Could you help me?
>
> I use there commands:
> On the remote DB :
> CREATE SNAPSHOT LOG ON XXX.TEST STORAGE (INITIAL 10K NEXT 10K PCTINCREASE
50);

> On my DB:
> CREATE SNAPSHOT TEST REFRESH FAST AS SELECT * FROM XXX.TEST_at_DB_REMOTE;
>
> Sorry for my english....
>
> thank you
> Marco Curradi
>

> --
> Posted from [40.0.96.66]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

A snapshot log is different from redo log. A snapshot log is nothing more than a trail of changed records on the original table.
If you don't create a snapshot log you will only be capable performing a complete refresh every time.
This you don't want.
Your posts raises suspicions as to the connection between Italy and Germany. One of the best methods to sort this out is to run an O/S ping from the database in Italy to the database in Germany, followed by tracert (NT) or traceroute (Unix) breaking down the various hops the connection takes. Doing so, you will be capable to spot potential delays. As usual: if down the line some server has insufficient capacity or is using 14k4 modems *you* will suffer.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Oct 29 2001 - 11:55:54 CST