Re: One or more Databases

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:26:15 +0100

No, that's not what I was saying.
I was saying:
if you have a production/test/development version of your applications you might want to have a production instance for the production version of all your applications, a test instance for the test version of all your applications and a development for the development version of all your applications

Depending on the size and the number of concurrent users, these three databases can reside on one server or on more than one server.

However, typically you also need one Oracle instance for maintenance purposes, containing the OEM repository, the RMAN catalog and so on.

As to your last remark: at least you are asking. Many of your colleagues just go ahead creating numerous 'databases'

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA