Re: Migrating from MS Access to Oracle 8i

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:14:59 -0500

Not quite that simple..
First:
Make sure all ACCESS tablenames conform to Oracle requirements ( see Oracle docs) and make them UPPERCASE Make sure all data types are Oracle compatible and make the field names UPPERCASE and Oracle compliant ( Docs again)

[ Access allows datatypes and nomenclature that will give you problems in Oracle; for example a Mixed case table name exported from Access will have a mixed-case name in Oracle - to use SqlPlus with this table you will need to always enclose the name in dbl-quotes..same thing happens with mixed-case field names - furthermore Oracle has rules about what can be in field names and table names - for instance no spaces are allowed in Table or Field names ]

So, once you make the data compatible,
you can export to Oracle...

The Migration Assistant handles these pretty well, but to do an export (save as) from Access yourself, its up to you..