Re: Do I need to know SQL to learn Oracle?

From: Jim Lyons <jlyons_at_weblyons.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2001 08:09:42 -0700

faheemrao_at_yahoo.com (FaheemRao) wrote in message news:<43b58913.0110241729.1b5284d0_at_posting.google.com>...
> Even for Oracle DBA SQL is very important Otherwise you would not be
> able to actuall do some Practical on your DBA course.
>

> Faheem Rao
>

> jlyons_at_weblyons.com (Jim Lyons) wrote in message news:<e67857c9.0110240857.42062b25_at_posting.google.com>...
> > msmetal123_at_aol.com (MSMetal123) wrote in message news:<20011023135606.27731.00001164_at_mb-mv.aol.com>...
> > > Please reply to this message. I am about to take Oracle 1 this upcoming
> > > quarter at school, but I havn't had SQL yet. Is SQL knowledge necessary?
> >
> > What do mean by "take Oracle"? If you are going to take a concepts course
> > or a DBA course, you probably don't need to take an entire course in SQL.
> > Any SQL you will need can be learned in the course.
> >
> > If you're going to take a PL/SQL course it might be a good idea unless the
> > course description says that SQL will be taught first. Doesn't the catalog
> > or whatever you have tell you what the requirements are?

Yes, but the question was how much SQL do you need to take a course in Oracle, not how much you need to be a DBA. The course may teach all SQL needed to understand the course. Again, what is meant by "take Oracle"? That's a very broad subject. What level is the course? Entry level, intermediate, advanced? Again, what does the catalog list as pre-requisites?

Jim Lyons
UT Austin Received on Fri Oct 26 2001 - 10:09:42 CDT