Re: Q: Version Control or Content History in databases ?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2001 06:41:42 -0700

Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_magicinterface.com> wrote in message news:<3BD68433.D8D5BB0E_at_magicinterface.com>...
> If you want to look at research, scan for information related to
> "temporal databases". It's not an easy problrm domain.
>

> Sascha Kompass wrote:
> >
> > Hi group,
> >
> > is there any such thing like version control or content history in a
> > database system ? I think of such a thing like CVS for database content.
> >
> > It should be possible to make queries like:
> >
> > SELECT x,y FROM table WHERE SYSDATE = date
> >
> > Is this a topic of interest to database theoreticists ?
> >
> > (The real problems start when you want this to be still _fast_
> > and foreign key handling fully operable in the desired sense.)
> >
> > Do you see any practical way to acomplish such a thing ?
> >
> > Every input is welcome,
> > Sascha

Sascha, Ed gave you the name for an area of time-sensitive data research, but another possibility if you needs are not too extensive is to create a set of history tables and populate them with triggers on the current data tables. So every change to the purchase order detail would trigger an insert of the original data to the purchase order detail history table. A record of changes or the PO at a point in time could be constructed from the two existing tables.