Re: question about Oracle 9i beta exam

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:18:05 -0700

Lillian

I can think of a couple of reasons for doing the beta exams:

  1. You should get your results as soon as the exam goes Production (given some time lag for admin and so on) i.e. you can be certified before most people. This is, of course, provided you don't fail the exams!
  2. You get to provide feedback on the exams hwich helps a lot towards making the exams higher quality.

I've done the beta exams every time. Mainly that's because I was an Oracle Education instructor, so I had to know the material pretty well (this was when 7.3 came out) and I needed the certification as quickly as possible. After that, it's cheaper for me to keep my certification up to date with the betas. You can't rely on a cheap version necessarily coming out at OOW soon after the beta (that's just a timing issue). As an instructor, it gets a bit embarassing when someone asks if you're certified and you're not!

I've never had any problem doing the beta questions in the timeframe allocated, including providing feedback on questions/answers I thought were either just plain wrong or not worth testing on. However, if you don't know your stuff really well, then I can see how the time issue could be a problem. As for the pass rate, number of questions etc. in the Production exams, that hasn't been determined yet. I asked the same question of the OCP folks for an exam cram I'm writing for the 9i New Features for Administrators exam, and they told me that won't be available until the Production date. You can actually become certified pretty much straight away after the exams go Production if you got the same route I did - I'm certified with 7.3, 8.0 and 8i, so all I need is the 0i upgrade exam and I'm done for 9i. As for the 30 days, I believe that's 30 days after the exam, but I could be wrong on that. Send an email to ocp_us_at_oracle.com to confirm.

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Now got a life back again that the book is released!

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

"Lillian Chen" <carefreelillian_at_netscape.net> wrote in message

> I read from earlier posts that the test results for the Oracle 9i beta
exams
> won't be ready until December. I was wondering if the results would be
> available before the Oracle Openworld conference that takes place in San
> Francisco during the week of 12/2 - 12/7?
>
> My concern is whether I would be able to retake the exam at Oracle
Openworld
> if I fail the beta exam. I recall that Oracle's exam policy states that
you
> have to wait 30 days before you can retake an exam. Now, is that 30 days
> after you take the exam, or 30 days after you receive your score report?
> Also, will the score report arrive in time for me to decide whether I need
> to retake the exam at Oracle Openworld or not?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because I just found out from reading the OTN
> Techblast newsletter that Oracle is offering the production (i.e.
non-beta)
> version of the Oracle 9i DBA exams at Oracle Openworld for $50 each.
That's