Re: Problem: Connect to Oracle8i via ADO

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:25:43 +0200

"GSK-IT" <__at_gsk.com> wrote in message news:9qn540$c3h$1_at_phunn2.sbphrd.com...
> I have test console application (written in VC++ 6) that uses ADO to
connect
> and open tables on an Oracle8i database. This test application works fine
> as does SQL-plus to get to the database.
>
> The problem is that I implement the above code in an extension DLL called
by
> a third party app that runs as a W2K service. When the third party
service
> application calls the ADO Open method - it fails and generates the
following
> sqlnet.log:

> Fatal NI connect error 12203, connecting to:

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle80)(ARGV0=o

racle80ORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CON

NECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\ThirdPartyApp\admserv5.exe)(HOST=MYMACH
> INENAME)(USER=Administrator))))
>
> VERSION INFORMATION:
> TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
> Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version
8.0.5.0.0 -
> Production
> Time: 18-OCT-01 13:37:26
> Tracing not turned on.
> Tns error struct:
> nr err code: 12203
> TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
> ns main err code: 12560
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> ns secondary err code: 0
> nt main err code: 530
> TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
> nt secondary err code: 0
> nt OS err code: 0
>

> I assume it has to do with authentication, somehow. I have exhausted all
> the ideas from MSDN (i.e. configured sqlnet.ora for no authentication,
> checked MDAC components & registry settings - all with no success).
>
> What does the third party service do differently than my test application
> for the same code ?
>
> Thanks, John

Has nothing to do with authentication.
12203 means the program can't reach the host. If your app is not running on the database server, you are simply using the wrong protocol, because bequeath (which you are using) is for interprocess communication on the server only.

Hth
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA